for your listening pleasure

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

News Years & NFL

So I probably should put down my New Years Resolution but I didn't really do one this year. I had a roommate in college who did a little something to improve herself every month. It would be something small like remembering to floss her teeth every day. And I think that I'm going to try something out along those lines. January's is to lift once a week to help balance out all of the running I do and to not be such a shit show. I really outdid myself already. Granted, it was New Year's Eve and then one of my best friend's wedding but still. I'm actually a bit ashamed of myself. I must be growing up.

Anyways, I really wanted to bring up something that has been on my mind for the past couple of months: instant gratification and the NFL.

Now that the season is over for about a third of the teams, the firings have begun. While I would like to commend most of the teams for holding back the urge to fire mid-season, a lot of the coaches fired do not necessarily deserve to be fired. The Giant's defensive coach is gone. Granted the defense sucked but it was his first year, it seems a bit hasty to me. Especially if it was a new system for the players to learn, not to mention all of the injuries.

All of the Bills coaches are gone. I'm kinda okay with that. Something was not working but I'm not completely sure if firing everyone was the answer.

Zorn from the 'Skins. He never should have been the head coach. He wasn't hired for that position but because Snyder is an ass, he couldn't find anyone else to do the job the way he wanted it done. He wasn't about to bring in his own guys or suggestions to the roster. That limits a coach a lot. Despite Zorn's losing seasons, he was a class act. And I really do wish him the best of luck.

It's seems the NFL mentality is that they can't get to the playoffs, something is wrong with them. Maybe there is, maybe there is not. However, it seems more fair to give a coach more than a season or two to make that great of an impact and turn a team into a winning one. Most of the better teams this year have a core group that have been together for years. Some are just lucky. Regardless, firing a coach only puts a team back to the beginning, opening them up to defeat for another year.

It'll be interesting to see in the weeks to come who else ends up being hired and where the fired people go.

(It's just my little rant and I had to get it out before I exploded.)

No comments:

Post a Comment