for your listening pleasure

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

It's Complicated

"It's Complicated" is one of the worst phrases in the English language. Coming close behind would have to be "We need to talk," "I'm sorry," and "I love you."

"It's complicated" takes the cake because you know that it is never going to be something pleasant to learn and that it can apply to a variety of situations. First comes to mind in a relationship. It can be in the beginning when you don't actually know if there is a relationship or if one person wants the relationship, titles and all, and the other person does not. "It's complicated" is often used when a relationship starts to sour but before the break-up talk.

It can also be used in work situations. For example, before someone is fired but after they stop showing up to the office on a regular basis.

Even in regular friendships it can be said. Like when you're friends with someone but it takes work or things are as smooth as they should be. I.e. she said that she didn't like your boyfriend the first night she met him when she was drunk.

"It's complicated" can also be used to describe a relationship with inanimate object. I have a shirt/dress/tunic thing that I love. However, I don't wear it that often because I don't believe that it would be appropriate for the office, it's a bit causal for going out, and when I'm home, I'm usually in some type of lounge-wear.

"We need to talk," "I'm sorry," and "I love you" are all horrible phrases for different reasons. "We need to talk" is never good news. There is no way to look at it in a positive manner. It is also very hard to dress the phrase up so that the person on the receiving end of the news is not dreading the talk.

"I'm sorry" and "I love you" are two of the most over-used phrases in the English language. People will say both without really thinking about what they are saying. How many times have you said "I love you" to someone, doesn't have to a significant other, and not really meant it? Its one of those things that girls start to say to each in middle school and never really grow out of. "I'm sorry" is just a convenient way to apologize, whether you're actually sorry or not. People don't pay attention to what they say, much less how they say it. I honestly can't remember the last time that I said "I love you" or "I'm sorry" to someone without actually meaning it. Actually, I can't remember the last time I said "I love you" to anyone. Maybe I'm just an unfeeling bitch. But at least I'm honest about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment