So I officially cancelled my match.com subscription. While I clearly was not having any great luck with it, it also got to the point where it was too much of a hassle. It is really hard to be witty and funny and cute all of the time, especially when you're not like that normally. I'm sarcastic, short, and blunt. And sometimes it is okay to have a silence between two people and to be able to enjoy it as opposed to feeling the pressure to continue whatever inane conversation was occurring at that time.
It's been about a week since and I feel so much freer. I'm not constantly checking my email to see if I have any new notifications because I know that I don't. There's no hemming and hawing over replies to people that I'm not completely excited about based on whatever they decided to post on their profile. It's amazing, you're given a word limit to write about yourself and somehow you have to invent yourself to sound different but not too different from everyone else out there because after a while, everyone sounds the same and individuality is gone. But at the same time, you can't have a profile that is too different because then no one will talk to you. It's almost like being back in high school, but online.
I thought that I would miss the attention but I haven't. I've got too much going on in my real life to factor in an online life. Work takes up about 12 hours of my day if you factor in my commute. I'm training for a half-marathon that will take place in less than a month so its rare that I have a work-out that takes less than an hour. And then there are all the little things like laundry and watching my TV shows that need to get done. And honestly, sometimes after a long day at work, the last thing I want to do it is meet someone.
At this point in my life I can honestly say that maybe a relationship isn't in the books for me. I'm glad that I have no prospects because I wouldn't be able to give it my all and I'm not the type of person who half-asses relationships because those are called f-buddies. In a month or two I might feel differently-I'm sure I'd like someone to massage my legs and feet for me after the half marathon.



No comments:
Post a Comment