for your listening pleasure

Monday, May 3, 2010

He's Just Not that Into YOU

I recently watched He's Just Not That Into You for the first time. Now, I knew what I was getting into but I did not expect that particular ending. While not every storyline had a happy ending, it still gave into that ridiculous Hollywood type ending. The story line that I'm referring to is the Gigi and Alex one where she pursues every guy who is indifferent to her. Yet in the end, she dates Alex, the guy who gives her advice on how to act with the indifferent men who finally has a light bulb go off in his head so they end up happily dating despite the fact that she's a whack job. Even the story line with Janine and Ben - the married couple that doesn't end well - he is type-casted as a cheater and she as an uptight, Type A perfectionist. Is there no such thing as normal?

I feel that they took very specific types of people and tried to show how ridiculous relationships have become. While technology can be partly blamed for this, relationships have always had an awkwardness to them.

While I believe that there is a lot of truth to the statement, "he's just not that into you," I believe that the movie does not justify that statement. Not necessarily because there were some happy endings, but rather because it does not look at the big picture fully enough. Every woman featured, if she wasn't in some type of a relationship, was pining to be in one. Why is it not okay for women to be single? Or is it just once a woman reaches a certain age, she becomes relationship-hungry?

While, I could be digging too deeply into this, the movie was not as strong as I thought it could have been. However, there is nothing wrong with the statement, "he's just not that into you", because seriously, would you want every guy all about you? I sure as hell wouldn't- probably because that's too much work for me. And I'm not into every guy I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment